The Technical Tax Specialist - New Member Orientation looks after the initial steps and tasks required to making life less taxing for FBC’s new Members. This involves establishing the client relationship, collecting historical data, setting up accounts with necessary information, delivering customized service, and promoting and sharing FBC’s other service offerings. The Technical Tax Specialist completes additional tasks, as required, to onboard new Members.
Reporting to the New Member Orientation Team Lead, the Technical Tax Specialist answers basic tax and tax-related questions for Members, collaborates with and supports the processing team in providing products and services to Members, and assists Tax Consultants with pre- and post-appointment Member support. This role requires someone who is detail-oriented and highly organized.
The Technical Tax Specialist may be required to attend courses and other professional development opportunities from time to time, therefore, the incumbent must have a strong appetite for learning and professional growth.
*For the London branch, if the candidate is willing to relocate, it would be very welcomed.*
Functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Enter historical and personal data into FBC systems to create new accounts
- Perform analytical reviews of prior year tax returns and financial statements to identify trends, patterns and opportunities
- Prepare exploratory questions for the Local Tax Consultant to take to their first meeting with each new Member
- Create T1 adjustments and prior year T1 income tax returns
- Correspond with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on behalf of Members to resolve any issues or outstanding items
- Prepare and sign off on early communications and summaries provided to new Members
- Turn new Member accounts over to the Member Care Coordinators at the prescribed time
- Other duties, relevant to the position, may be assigned as required
Education and Experience
- Education in accounting such as accounting diploma or certificate; equivalent, directly related experience may be considered in lieu of formal education
- Knowledge of or experience with database and/or accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks or Simply Accounting) is an asset
- 2+ years of personal (T1) tax preparation experience
- Corporate (T2) tax preparation experience would be an asset
- A working knowledge of financial statements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication, written and verbal, including over the phone
- A warm personality – adept at building relationships and providing top notch service
- A professionalism demeanor – skilled at establishing trust and rapport
- Possess basic tax knowledge (T1 and T2)
- Able to review and understand financials and bookkeeping records
- Familiar with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requirements, guidelines and the services they provide
- Able to review and interpret CRA printouts and reports, as well as tax returns and related documents
- Highly detail-oriented
- Highly organized
- Proficient at prioritizing and managing work and capable of adapting to shifting demands
- Computer skills including MS Office and databases
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
WORKING CONDITIONS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- An aptitude for learning new software, including databases
- A track record of lifelong learning
Please submit current cover letter and resume, in one document, via our Careers page at www.fbc.ca . Search for Job I.D. 2018-1636 and click on the "Apply for this job online" button.
Deadline for submissions: October 5th, 2018, or as soon as a suitable candidate is found. Reviews of submissions will begin immediately.
Only applications submitted through our careers page will be considered.
Please note: while we thank you for your interest, only those applicants selected to proceed through the hiring process will be contacted.